Information We Collect
We collect various types of information in connection with the Services, including:
- Information you provide directly to us;
- Information we collect about your use of our Services; and
- Information we obtain from third-party sources.
Use and Sharing of Information
We use the information we collect (and may combine it with other information about you) to, among other things:
- Provide the Services you request;
- Understand the way you use the Services so that we can improve your experience; and
- Provide customized content and advertising.
We also use the information we collect in ways described to you at the point of collection, or otherwise with your consent.
We may share your information with:
- Affiliates—the Samsung family of companies.
- Business partners—trusted companies that may provide information about products and services you might like.
- Service providers—companies that provide services for or on behalf of Samsung.
- Law enforcement—when we are required to do so or to protect Samsung and its users.
What information do we collect about you?
Information you provide directly
Some Services enable you to give us information directly. For example:
- A number of our Services enable users to create accounts or profiles. In connection with these Services, we may ask you to provide certain information about yourself to set up the account or profile. For example, you can submit certain information about yourself, such as your name and email address, when you create a Samsung Account.
- If you order a product or paid service from us, we may ask for your name, contact information, shipping and billing address(es), and credit card information in order to process your order.
- Some of our Services enable you to communicate with other people. Those communications will be transmitted through and stored on our systems.
Information about your use of the Services
In addition to the information you provide, we may collect information about your use of our Services through software on your device and other means. For example, we may collect:
- Device information — such as your hardware model, IMEI number and other unique device identifiers, MAC address, IP address, operating system version, and settings of the device you use to access the Services.
- Log information — such as the time and duration of your use of the Service, search query terms you enter through the Services, and any information stored in cookies that we have set on your device.
- Location information — such as your device’s GPS signal or information about nearby WiFi access points and cell towers that may be transmitted to us when you use certain Services.
- Voice information — such as recordings of your voice that we make (and may store on our servers) when you use voice commands to control a Service. (Note that we work with a third-party service provider that provides speech-to-text conversion services on our behalf. This provider may receive and store certain voice commands.)
- Other information — about your use of the Services, such as the apps you use, the websites you visit, and how you interact with content offered through a Service.
Information from third-party sources
We may receive information about you from publicly and commercially available sources (as permitted by law), which we may combine with other information we receive from or about you. We also may receive information about you from third-party social networking services when you choose to connect with those services.
Other Information We Collect
We also may collect other information about you, your device, or your use of the services in ways that we describe to you at the point of collection or otherwise with your consent.
You can choose not to provide us with certain types of information (e.g., information we request during Samsung Account registration), but doing so may affect your ability to use some Services.
How do we use your information?
We may use information we collect for the following purposes:
- to register you or your device for a Service;
- to provide a Service or feature you request;
- to provide customized content and make recommendations based on your past activities on our Services;
- for advertising, such as providing customized advertisements and sponsored content (including through our advertising service, AdHub, whose practices you can learn more about here) and sending you promotional communications;
- for assessment and analysis of our market, customers, products, and services (including asking you for your opinions on our products and services and carrying out customer surveys);
- to understand the way people use our Services so that we can improve them and develop new products and services;
- to provide maintenance services for your device;
- to conduct free prize drawings, prize competitions or promotions, as permitted by law; and
- otherwise with your consent.
To whom do we disclose your information?
We will not disclose your information to third parties for their own independent marketing or business purposes without your consent. However, we may disclose your information to the following entities:
- Affiliates. Your information may be shared among Samsung affiliates.
- Business Partners. We also may share your information with trusted business partners, including wireless carriers. These entities may use your information to provide you with services you request (e.g., video content provided by Netflix through SmartTV), make predictions about your interests and may provide you with promotional materials, advertisements and other materials.
- Service providers. We also may disclose your information to companies that provide services for or on behalf of us, such as companies that help us with billing or that send emails on our behalf. These entities are limited in their ability to use your information for purposes other than providing services for us.
- Other Parties When Required by Law or as Necessary to Protect Our Services. There may be instances when we disclose your information to other parties:
- to comply with the law or respond to compulsory legal process (such as a search warrant or other court order);
- to verify or enforce compliance with the policies governing our Services; and
- to protect the rights, property, or safety of Samsung, or any of our respective affiliates, business partners, or customers.
- Other Parties in Connection With Corporate Transactions. We may disclose your information to a third party as part of a merger or transfer, or in the event of a bankruptcy.
promotional communications from us by following the unsubscribe instructions included in the communication. In addition, you can also generally make choices in your settings , or by visiting relevant webpages as listed below;
- with respect to targeted advertising that may interest you, for example by AdHub; and
And you may be able to make choices in specific Services or when we give you a just-in-time notice.
What do we do to keep your information secure?
We have put in place reasonable physical and technical measures to safeguard the information we collect in connection with the Services. However, please note that although we take reasonable steps to protect your information, no website, Internet transmission, computer system or wireless connection is completely secure.
Your California Privacy Rights
California residents are entitled once a year, free of charge, to request and obtain certain information regarding our disclosure, if any, of personally identifiable information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year (e.g., requests made in 2013 will receive information about 2012 sharing activities). We comply with this law by giving users the ability to tell us not to share personally identifiable information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, send an email to NAPrivacy@sea.samsung.com. We may need additional information to process your request.
Third-Party Links and Products on Our Services
Our Services may link to third-party websites and services that are outside our control. We are not responsible for the security or privacy of any information collected by websites or other services. You should exercise caution, and review the privacy statements applicable to the third-party websites and services you use.
We also may make available to you certain products or services (e.g., apps available through Samsung Apps) developed by third parties. Samsung is not responsible for these third-party products or services.
Third Parties that Provide Content, Advertising or Functionality on Our Services
Some of the content, advertising, and functionality on our Services may be provided by third parties that are not affiliated with us. For example:
- We enable you to watch video content provided by companies such as Netflix through SmartTV;
- Third parties develop apps that we make available through the Samsung App Store;
- Certain third parties may serve advertising or keep track of which advertisements users see, how often they see those advertisements, and what users do in response to them; and
- We enable you to share certain materials on the Services with others through social networking services such as Facebook, Twitter, Google +, and LinkedIn.
If you connect with a social networking service, we may receive and store authentication information from that service to enable you to log in, as well as other information that you allow us to receive when you connect with these services.
Also, please note that if you choose to connect with a social networking service on a device used by people in addition to you, those other users may be able to see information stored or displayed in connection with your account on the social networking service(s) with which you connect.
We do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of thirteen (13) without parental consent, unless permitted by law. If we learn that a child under the age of thirteen (13) has provided us with personal information, we will delete it in accordance with applicable law.
Do Not Track Signals and Similar Mechanisms
Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” signals to the websites with which the user communicates, although web browsers incorporate and activate this functionality in different ways, and it is not always clear whether users intend for these signals to be transmitted. There currently is disagreement, including among participants in the leading Internet standards-setting organization, concerning what, if anything, websites should do when they receive such signals. Samsung currently does not take action in response to these signals, but, if and when a standard is established and accepted, we may reassess how to respond to these signals.
Samsung Electronics America, Inc.
85 Challenger Road
Ridgefield Park, NJ 07660
Email: through the "Contact Us" section
[Provide customized content and make recommendations]: We may use information we collect to provide you with customized content and make recommendations that are based in part on your past activities on our Services. For example, Samsung Hub provides you with recommendations about video, music, applications and third-party content that we think will interest you. Your SmartTV provides recommendations about video content you might like. Please visit the settings menu on your device or service for information about privacy choices you may have available to you in connection with these services.
[Improve them and develop new products and services]: We may use information we collect to understand the way you use the products and services we offer so that we can improve them and develop new products and services. For example, we may use this information to make better-informed decisions about the design of our devices and the selection of Samsung and third-party content that is accessible through our devices and services.
[Affiliates]: The term ‘affiliates’ refers to companies related to Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. by common ownership or control. Our affiliates include companies with the Samsung Electronics name, such as Samsung Electronics (UK) Limited. Affiliates may also include other companies related by common ownership or control, such as Samsung Information Systems America.
Samsung’s AdHub service enables advertisers to reach Samsung users across various Samsung and third-party platforms, including the web, mobile devices, tablets, and TVs. Among other things, AdHub enables advertisers to send you advertisements that are customized based on information Samsung receives about you, your device, and your online activities.
Information AdHub Collects
When you use a Samsung service that includes ads provided by AdHub, AdHub receives certain information about your device. This information may include the device’s hardware model, IMEI number and other unique device identifiers, MAC address, IP address, operating system version, and settings.
In addition, the first time you visit a service that displays ads by AdHub, Ad Hub will assign your device a random ID number, which will be sent back to AdHub each time your device gets a new ad from AdHub. This allows AdHub to recognize your device across different websites or applications and serve you ads that are relevant to your needs and interests.
When AdHub displays an ad to you, AdHub logs the fact that your device received that ad, as well as the webpage or other place where you viewed it.
Information Shared with Third-Party Partners
AdHub may share information about the number of users who see particular ads (or ad campaigns) with our third-party partners. This information is shared in aggregate form only, meaning that no device information is shared with the advertiser.
Information Collected By Other Companies
Third-party advertisers may use web beacons in their ads in order to collect information about users who view their ads, including throughcookies, beacons and similar technologies. Samsung does not control the data collection and use practices of these companies. Some of these companies participate in industry-developed programs designed to provide consumers choices about whether to receive targeted advertising. Please visit the websites operated by the Network Advertising Initiative [http://networkadvertising.org] and Digital Advertising Alliance [http://digitaladvertisingalliance.org] to learn more.
You can opt out of receiving targeted advertising from AdHub here [https://account.samsung.com/membership/etc/setPersonalOption.do?openPage=adsCombination]. Please note that if you opt out, you will continue to see ads, but they may be less relevant to you because they will not be based on your interests.
Recommendations and Customized Content
The SmartTV is designed to enable you to easily find and access video programming and other content. For example, you may access information about live television programs distributed to you by your cable or satellite operator and on-demand video content offerings distributed by third-party content providers through searchable guides displayed on your SmartTV.
In the case of live television programs, we determine what content is available to you based in part on your zip code. In addition, the SmartTV helps make the searchable guides and other SmartTV content more relevant to you by highlighting programming and content that is likely to interest you, such as episodes of programs that you may have missed and new programs, applications and other content that we believe you will find of interest. We base these recommendations on:
- Information about content that you have watched, purchased, downloaded, or streamed through Samsung applications on your SmartTV or other devices;
- Information about applications you have accessed through the SmartTV panels;
- Information about your clicks on the “Like,” “Dislike,” “Watch Now,” and other buttons on your SmartTV;
- The query terms you enter into SmartTV search features, including when you search for particular video content; and
- Other SmartTV usage and device information, including, but not limited to, IP address, information stored in cookies and similar technologies, information that identifies your hardware or software configuration, browser information, and the page(s) you request.
In addition, if you enable the collection of information about video streams viewed on your SmartTV, we may collect that information and additional information about the network, channels, and programs that you view through the SmartTV. We will use such information to improve the recommendations that we deliver to you on the SmartTV.
SyncPlus and Interactive Marketing
By enabling SyncPlus or other marketing features, you may make the content and advertising that you receive on your SmartTV and other devices when you are watching SmartTV more interactive. TV programming providers or advertisers can enhance video programs by providing interactive content, such as in-program trivia, show insights, games, and promotions, on your SmartTV or other devices. Similarly, advertisers can enhance their ads by enabling users to take immediate action (e.g., downloading a coupon or app) in response to an ad.
To make these kinds of enhancements available, we provide video or audio snippets of the program you’re watching to third-party providers that use this information in order to return content or advertising “synched” to what you’re watching. These providers may receive information about your device (e.g., its IP address and device identifiers) and your interactions with the content and advertising they provide. You may disable these interactive marketing features at any time by visiting the “settings” menu. The choices you make with respect to interactive marketing features will not affect whether you receive other types of ads and marketing on your SmartTV.
You can control your Smart TV, and use many of its features, with voice commands.
If you enable Voice Recognition, you can interact with your Smart TV using your voice. To provide you the Voice Recognition feature, some interactive voice commands may be transmitted (along with information about your device, including device identifiers) to a third-party service provider (currently, Nuance Communications, Inc.) that converts your interactive voice commands to text and to the extent necessary to provide the Voice Recognition features to you. In addition, Samsung may collect and your device may capture voice commands and associated texts so that we can provide you with Voice Recognition features and evaluate and improve the features. Samsung will collect your interactive voice commands only when you make a specific search request to the Smart TV by clicking the activation button either on the remote control or on your screen and speaking into the microphone on the remote control.
If you do not enable Voice Recognition, you will not be able to use interactive voice recognition features, although you may be able to control your TV using certain predefined voice commands.
You may disable Voice Recognition data collection at any time by visiting the “settings” menu. However, this may prevent you from using some of the Voice Recognition features.
Gesture Controls and Facial Recognition
Your SmartTV is equipped with a camera that enables certain advanced features, including the ability to control and interact with your TV with gestures and to use facial recognition technology to authenticate your Samsung Account on your TV. The camera can be covered and disabled at any time, but be aware that these advanced services will not be available if the camera is disabled.
Gesture Control. To provide you with the ability to control your SmartTV through gestures, the camera mounted on the top of your SmartTV can recognize your movements. This enables you, for example, to move between panels and zoom in or zoom out. We record information about when and how users use gesture controls so that we can evaluate the performance of these controls and improve them.
Facial Recognition. The camera situated on the SmartTV also enables you to authenticate your Samsung Account or to log into certain services using facial recognition technology. You can use facial recognition instead of, or as a supplementary security measure in addition to, manually inputting your password. Once you complete the steps required to set up facial recognition, an image of your face is stored locally on your TV; it is not transmitted to Samsung. If you cancel your Samsung Account or no longer desire to use facial recognition, please visit the applicable settings menu to delete the stored image. While your image will be stored locally, Samsung may take note of the fact that you have set up the feature and collect information about when and how the feature is used so that we can evaluate the performance of this feature and improve it.
To provide you with personalized fitness recommendations, SmartTV services enable you to create a profile that contains certain basic information about yourself, including your height, weight and date of birth. You can delete such a profile at any time by following the directions in the service’s preferences [or settings] screen.
SmartTV services may make available educational videos and other content appropriate for children, but we do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of thirteen (13) without parental consent, unless permitted by law. If we learn that a child under the age of thirteen (13) has provided us with personal information, we will delete it in accordance with applicable law.
Please note that when you watch a video or access applications or content provided by a third-party, that provider may collect or receive information about your SmartTV (e.g., its IP address and device identifiers), the requested transaction (e.g., your request to buy or rent the video), and your use of the application or service. Samsung is not responsible for these providers’ privacy or security practices. You should exercise caution and review the privacy statements applicable to the third-party websites and services you use.
Please note that one or more of the features described in this SmartTV Supplement may not be available to you depending on where you live.
Last Updated February 10, 2015